thrifted before and after

I debated for quite some time over whether or not to get this cabinet. I finally decided that for $12.99 what could really go wrong, with a little elbow grease it would only get better.


I set out to get a dusk mask. For lack of eye protection I went with sunglasses, which it turned out I needed, it was darn sunny out that day.


And I sanded away, determined to get every last part even. The cabinet may have been solid wood but it wasn't well built. In the end I had to screw a plywood board under the top for extra stability and fill many spots in with putty.



I nearly stripped this piece trying to get it well sanded. And I removed the knobs that I so despised.


Then came some choices. I found this gorgeous paper on sale at Utrecht but wasn't certain what color to go with as the base for the whole piece. I was leaning toward the mustard yellow on the right. Then a smart twitter friend asked what color the room was that this cabinet was to find it's home in. I realized I didn't know. We are still trying to settle on room colors, suddenly grey was safe and just right.


And I love it!



I wasn't able to remove the hinges but I plan on taking some tools home from the studio so I can carefully remove the paint I got on them and shine them up while I am at it. My attempts to scrape the paint off resulted in scraping off the faux rust revealing a shade of silver underneath. My goal is to get them back to silver with a brushed finish.


And this is the dreamy medium I found {thanks to that ever so helpful and knowing Utrecht employee}. I used this to adhere the paper to the surface of the cabinet as well as provide a protective layer over the paper. It's like magic! 




After some pacing and swigs of whiskey {kidding} I dove in and cut my first piece of paper. I cut it larger than the panel it was to occupy. After the medium dried I used a sharp blade to trim the paper to the exact shape on the door. They weren't perfect to begin with so I used the raised area as a guide and trimmed away. 



I started adding the gloss to to my newly papered panels. 



After three or four coats they seem shiny and well protected. It dried completely clear which was nice as it had a creamy appearance in the jar and it made me nervous. 



My shiny new cabinet found a home near the coat closet and under the key hooks. A sweet little place to store my bag. I'm sure the insides will be overflowing with something soon. The top is also home to my weed clippings from my walk with Callie {here they are on the former table}. 



These knobs really added the finishing touch. It took me a while in Antropologie to decide on the perfect ones as their selection is just amazing. In the end I went for silver to match the glitter in the paper.



A sweet little recap thanks to diptic. It is a great feeling to see this progress in one frame.




We have quite a few projects around the apartment we have been working on. Once we get some of the furniture we got for a song as thrift shops we will have to hunker down and settle on a color/colors for our walls. I look forward to a nice, cozy winter in our familiar apartment that is becoming more and more of a home. 




happy monday! 
{it snuck up on me while I was writing this post, i started it on sunday}
xo, kim